On their TV show Flipping Boston, Dave Seymour and Peter Souhleris do a great job demonstrating how to create real value from some simple fixer upper tips. In various interviews over the years, they’ve offered some simple home remodeling tips that you can use to increase your return on investment.
- New front door – Installing a new front door is a great way to increase curb appeal and create a great first impression. After all, its the first thing potential buyers see when they step inside. Dave Seymour says he likes to paint front doors red.
- New garage door – It might not seem like the best investment, but it’s a strong signal about the condition of the house. A new garage door may cost $2,000 or more, but can increase the sales price by $8,000 or more.
- Add crown molding – New crown molding costs roughly $200 a room to install, but dramatically improves the look of a room and the perceived value of the home.
- Paint the interior – Paint makes everything look brand new, but stick with a fairly neutral palette. Peter Souhleris prefers interior paint in earth tones and light grays in the same color family. “I’ve made thousands of dollars with a one-gallon bucket of paint,” says Pete.
- Add kitchen wow factor – Kitchen islands with hanging pendant lights and beverage coolers are a good way to impress buyers.
- Appeal to the masses – Know what customers are looking for in your area by touring new homes for sale. “Buyers want to see themselves in the house—watching football in the living room and spending a Saturday night with a glass of wine,” says Dave.
- Master bath splash – Make a big splash in the master bath with pleasing tile combinations and a luxurious feel. Consider adding heated floors in cold weather climates.
- Stay on trend – Pay attention to home design trends and look for simple ways to incorporate them. Sliding barn doors to hide closets and bathroom entrances are an inexpensive way to add room accents and free up floor space without breaking the bank.
- Don’t overspend on upgrades – Stick to your budget and only spend what’s needed. “Don’t get emotional,” says Pete. “You might love the property, but stick to what needs to be done and don’t go overboard.”
- List on Tuesdays – Listing your home for sale on Tuesday night makes it a brand new listing for everyone home shopping that weekend. It helps create buzz and gets more people to your open house on Saturday.
Flipping Boston: Fixer Upper Tips – Create Bragging Rights
Apply these fixer upper tips from the stars of Flipping Boston to improve both the look and the resale value of your next flip. Photos provided by City Light Homes.